Historic Support

Sulgrave Manor

superb example of a 16th-century Manor House and Garden is located in Sulgrave, Banbury, England. It was built by Lawrence Washington, direct ancestor of George Washington, the  first president of the United States. 

In 1924, The National Society of The Colonial Dames of America raised $112,000 from 35,000 subscribers to endow the Manor and Grounds in perpetuity. 
 

Dumbarton House

 

A visit to Dumbarton House, built in 1799, offers guests a unique opportunity to view one of the finest examples of Federal period architecture in the U.S., along with its impressive furniture and decorative arts collections. It provides a clear idea of what life was like in the earliest days of our nation’s capital.

 

In addition to being a historic house museum, Dumbarton House is also the headquarters of The National Society of The Colonial Dames of America, our national society.

Gunston Hall

Home of George Mason, creator of the 1776 Virginia Declaration of Rights.


Located in Mason Neck, VA, this National Historic Landmark is owned by the Commonwealth of Virginia and administered by a Board of Regents appointed from the NSCDA including a member of the Delaware Dames. 


The December Gunston Hall Sale is a beneficiary fundraiser for Gunston Hall and includes the sale of boxwood Christmas tree centerpieces.

Kalmar Nyckel 
In 1638, the ship Kalmar Nyckel arrived on the Christiana River. The current Kalmar Nyckel, is a re-creation of that original ship and was launched in 1997 about 200 yards downstream from the original landing.

It  serves as a floating classroom and inspirational centerpiece for the Kalmar Nyckel Foundation's educational programs logging about 3,000 nautical miles each year.

NSCDA-DE has sponsored educational sails for students and recently also made a significant site specific donation to enhance the Kalmar Nyckel exhibition space benefiting many.

100 years of Preservation

2018 We have reached the century mark since the NSCDA-DE moved and rebuilt the "Little Church", originally constucted in 1740!

 

Used as our headquarters, it can also be rented for community meetings and small weddings! How delighted are we that our early Dames had the foresight to save this wonderful building!

Our popular Lecture Luncheons are a way for our members to socialize while becoming more informed on a variety of historic subjects!

NSCDA-DE

PO Box 4026, Wilmington DE, 19807 

Email: nscdade@gmail.com

                                                  

2018 created with Wix.com

  • Facebook Social Icon
  • Instagram Social Icon

The National Society of The Colonial Dames of America in the State of Delaware was established May 10, 1892, the year after the 1891 founding of the National Society. A major NSCDA-DE project was the purchase, restoration and turn over to the State of Delaware, the John Dickinson Plantation, as a museum in 1951.